The beach beckoned us this summer -- and we answered! Our little foursome met up with a group neighbor families for a sandy, sunny week at Newport Beach. We shared a condo with two other young, superfun families, seven kidlets under five years old in a four bedroom space! The tiny cast:
I was presented with a four-pak of Sprinkles cupcakes on the beach from some favorite ward members the morning of my birthday. Could it get better?! It did! Our little gang traipsed to The Crab Cooker for a celebratory meal. Then, we stroller derbied to Seaside Donuts for chocolate with sprinkles (I think we actually did this every day of the trip). Awesome!
Most days, we just headed to the sand and stayed there. Sophie logged the most hours on the beach by far -- whenever anyone in our group headed back for a nap or food or anything, she chose to stay by the water. The first moment we hit the sand, our genius friend Matt started digging an intricate system of tunnels, which was the key to a successful week -- the kids loved digging and filling with sand, plus the tunnels were deep enough to corral the little ones. Then, it was all PLAY!
|Our cute neighbor, Annie|
When we weren't on the beach, here's how we kept entertained:
- attended church with our dear friends, the Nelsons, where Andrew serves as Bishop. They so graciously had us over for dinner and catching up after.
- hit the Rainbow sandals outlet in San Clemente.
- after the kids pooped out (thank heavens we traveled with other early-bedtimers), the grownups stayed up superlate playing Scum overandoverandover. We were also joined by our babysitter and YW, Devin, who was staying a few doors down.
- the guys went golfing.
- one night, the grownups got a sitter and went out for fresh sushi and a stroll on the pier.
- the dads created a fort in the living room.
One day, we broke off from the crowd and hitched up the tandem and trailer to the bikes for a family ride across the ferry to Balboa Island, where we window shopped and devoured the awesomest (yeah, it is a word) chocolate covered Balboa Bars and bananas. Also hit the carnival rides at the pier.
General consensus: SO glad we did it! A week of lasting memories, and more than a few pics for my girls' wedding flashback video!